My wife and I pre-coordinated the purchase of an 5th wheel trailer from the Lowell AR Camping World store via email, making an "OUT THE DOOR" offer which was supposedly accepted by the general manager. My wife and I took the day off work and drove 4 hours from OKC OK to the Lowell AR Camping World store and meet with the "sales professional". We did the normal pre-sale paperwork, took a rushed walk-thru of the trailer and then obtained our own insurance before meeting with sales manager. As I mentioned, we made an "Out the Door" offer for our trailer and we were led to believe that the trailer price included the OK tax and registration, before being convinced that we "needed" the protection packages (another scam).

I didn't find out that I had been screwed until I went to register the trailer in OK and learned that NO TAX had been paid at all, so I was stuck with another $2200+ for tax and registration.

What irritates me is that while I should have done more research into the "protection packages" to understand what they do and do not cover, I was blatantly lied to about the tax and registration fees being included.

Ultimately I am solely responsible for understanding each and every line on the contract that I signed so I hold myself as accountable as I do in accusing the staff of Camping World of shady and unscrupulous business practices. When I confronted the general manager about the offer being in writing and that I was consulting an attorney he flat out said to "go right ahead, I have a signed contract". And after watching the Youtube view "Camping World; The truth" I whole heartedly believe that they deal with this so much that they already have a well stocked legal staff on hand and it would cost me more to fight this issue than walk away.

My only justice is in knowing that I will be spending a greater amount of time informing people not to do business with Camping World and that the money lost on the sale pails in comparison in the amount of money in all the upgrades and accessories I had planned on buying from them over time. My wife and I are avid RV's and we had sold all of our equipment, along with our RV a couple years ago when we moved to OK. Now that we've purchased a new RV I've already spent nearly half the $2200 in items that we wanted from eTrailer.com. We had also planned on adding a Cummins Onan generator in the next month or two and I'm just glad I didn't have Camping World install it too as I had originally planned.

What Camping World obviously doesn't care about is follow on service and sales of equipment. A customer spends a lot of money on the initial purchase of their RV, and while I'm sure CW makes a huge margin on those, they have to be making a lot in sales of accessories too. And that is where I hope more people turn away from doing business with them too.

I did some price checking and found the same items at the same price or just pennies higher from eTrailer.com and Amazon Prime, both of which offered free shipping so I actually came out ahead.

In the mean time I have already contacted the Arkansas Tax Commissioner, BBB and plan to initiate action to retrieve the money spent on the extended warranty, along with contacting the OK Attorney General Consumer Protection Division regarding.

Product or Service Mentioned: Camping World Customer Care.

Reason of review: Lied to about tax and registration.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Apr 04.

Comments