5.7K views
3.5

Really NICE young salesman who was very honest in telling us that the trailer we had our eyes on was a "loss" leader.We were aware of this, the price was outstanding at the Boise Fairgrounds sale.

However, my husband wanted to "wheel and deal"...and asked for some basic items to be thrown in the sale for the price. For instance. A Brand new travel trailer that doesn't include a battery??? A spare tire???

Kind of essential to getting it on the road don't you think? He asked for those and a bike rack, we knew that was pie in the sky but after the salesman had now told us that there were $800 in non-negotiable fees that needed to be added to the price, delivery and cleaning fees...things started to get fishy. If there is $930 more (not including the missing tire) to reasonably get the vehicle out the door, why advertise it for 11995? Do you know what it is like to be told over and over that the company is "losing" money on your sale?

Do you know how ridiculous that is? Anyhow, the general manager came and spoke to us, he said he WOULD throw in a tire because it was ridiculous it didn't come with one and the bottom price with tax was $13500, all written down on an offer sheet. We asked for overnight to think about it and asked them to let us know what the financing terms would be given our excellent credit history. The next morning, my husband got an itemized sheet from them and the cost was $14300...another $400 added for document fees.

We really liked this trailer and know the price was exceptional...at first.

However, $1200 in "fees" to get it out of the door just seems deceptive.

Review about: Camping World Manager.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Had an Experience with Camping World?

Comments

Columbus, Mississippi, United States #1248141

THIS IS PAR FOR THEIR COURSE EVERY CAMPING WORLD STORE DOES THE SAME. THEY NEED TO BE TOOK TO TASK FOR DOING

LIKE THAT. BAIT AND SWITCH IS AGAINST THE LAW, BUT NO

BODY WANTS TO TAKE IT THAT FAR.

San Bernardino, California, United States #1226048

The same hidden fee trick happened to us.We did get them to give us batteries but no spare. Our hidden fees were 1100.00 to this day I cant tell you what they were for but the Doc fee of 399.00 was included on the contract. Just about everything they did especially from the finance people on up seems to be shady.

Spokane, Washington, United States #1220493

The same thing just happened to us at the RV show in Boise except they added 1100.00 to the sale price.We did get them to throw in batteries though..They passed a law stopping airlines from adding hidden fees why not make everybody disclose the real price??They are very deceptive about pricing. I will not be back to Camping World in Meridian

Bowie, Maryland, United States #1203776

I saw a fair price for a 2003 Pleasure Way campervan at Camping World of Chicago. I emailed and asked what is the out the door price -- the money I need to leave with the keys today; he said $159 dollars document prep fee and $10 temporary tag.

We had a near identical experience.We were very surprised to learn that although the Coleman we were looking at was sitting there on the lot, we'd have to put $395 for the fact that it had been delivered in the first place (wtf?) and $495 for them to set up the trailer (go through and make sure the tanks don't leak, the lines are good, and put in propane).

Huh? Why isn't that already done and for free? Yes, I do think propane, batteries and a spare tire should be thrown in without complaints from a dealer.

At any rate, we left Camping World empty handed.We'll try one of the other LOCAL dealers instead.

where is the free battery store in Boise? They do not come from the manufactor with Batteries

to Anonymous #1382221

A travel trailer needs a battery to operate the brakes which a required by law. They should provide at least 1 battery.

It IS deceptive.I just returned from Camping World in Nashville with an interest in a 2016 Coleman model.

They had an internet price of nearly 11k but by the time they added all the bogus fees it was 15k.

I said "No, thanks" and left.Camping World and Coleman campers can keep that shoddy little trailer....

Doesn't really seem deceptive if they told you about it.Deceptive would be if you signed everything and then found out that you paid extra and were never told.

Send me your email and I will forward you a copy of a nice book.It's called The Dictionary.

to looE Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States #909741

Sounds like you are the salesman they are talking about. It is deceptive, plain and simple and if you part of this "industry" I hope you sleep well at night. And being a smart as to boot does not help your cause dickweed.