Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Camping World of Roanoke Va

On Jan28,2012 I purchased a 97 Hurricane from the Camping World in Roanoke Va. I was told that before I picked up the motor home that it would go Thu a points check to make sure that it didn't have any major problems and would be cleaned up, fueled up and that it would be ready to camp when it was turned over to me. I made a down payment on it and told them I would be back on Feb 1,2012 to pick it up. They suggested that I be there around 12:30pm. While I was paying for my purchase they were supposed to be getting it ready for me. They filled the carpet with water didn't really suck it up. I got 3 miles from the dealership and the check engine light came on had to take it back and they promised to call the company to find out where the diagnostic plug is because they did not have a clue. The gas hand registers full and it's broke they didn't put any gas in it Because I put $190.00 in to fill it up. The air conditioner doesn't work. won't get cold low on freon. the propane tank was supposed to be full it registers 1/8 of a tank. I paid them for my tags and title had to call them 3 times to get them to get my tags and title sent to me. I called Richmond and wanted to know where they were. I don't recommend this place to anyone. If you need a camper go where you get better service. That is not the place for it.

After reading all the mishaps that people write in about I must say I had almost 100% great experience, sales as well as service was awsome my almost 100% comes from my one and only complaint, that young loudmouth at the reception desk, she drove my wife and I crazy running around worried she wouldnt get her smoke break, over all expierance two thumbs up, we cant win them all.

Most customers/owners have no business owning or operating a Rv, there is so much time that goes into solving these customers issues that over all 90% of the time Mr Customer caused themselve due to lack of commonscense.

@Tricia

Tricia you obviously don't know anything about customer service.

How do you think you keep your job and who pays your wages?

You need to find another line of work missy.

Please contact me so that we can offer a resolution to these issues. We are under new management.

They have called me on several ocassions about mine. I called the main headquarters in Lexington Kentucky.

They talk a big show but you never get any results.I took the Hurricane camping found out with all the other problems it had a broke comode and a black tank 2/3 full of sewage.I reported that they kept it 3 more weeks and when I broght it home I still had a tank full of sewage.

It is now at another dealer to see what else it's problems are I did find out that the battery has a broke post inside it and that I have a co2 sensor bad. But I don't ever want to see another camping World dealership

I took my new camper to Roanoke camping world after a deer hit the side of my camper doing over 5,000.00 in damage. I was told it would be fixed with Keystone parts....well went there to pick up on March 29, 2012 and my camper looked worse after they worked on it than it did the night the deer hit me and left blood and guts on it.

I took the camper and returned it on April 2 for the work to be done the right way...I was advised that my camper would be ready in 2-3 weeks and here it is 21 days later and I find out they haven't even started the repair. I wouldn't recommend this place to change a light bulb and if my camper is not ready for use by this Wednesday as it was told I needed it...someone from camping world will be supplying me with a unit to use and it will be of equal value or more than mine.

View more comments (5)

Camping World Katy Texas botched AC install
We took our 2012 Outback to Camping World in Katy TX to have an additional AC installed. Having just one AC didn't cut it. We dropped of our travel traler and they were to install a 13.5 unit that would have it's own plug to use in addition to the AC the unit came with. About 5 days later we got a call to come pick it up, that all done. We came in, paid and took her back to the storage lot that we keep it at. About a month later, we brought the trailer home and pluged her in in our driveway. We have a 30amp on the house (for when we bring our trailer home) and plugged in the new ac unit as well to try her out. The new unit did cool but we noticed it cycled on and off alot. After some time I open up the unit from inside the camper and noticed that they didn't even frame out the hole that was made to install it(there was no vent in the bedroom where we had it put in so they had to make an opening in the roof for it). The actually used scrap 2by4's to hold up the the roof. Also, the top unit wasn't even connected to the bottom unit allowing cold air to be suck back into the unit causing it to cycle on and off. Nothing was taped with and you can stick your arm all the way in the attic space all around the hole. All the insulation, plywood and aluminum trusses are visible. I called Camping World and talked to there service manager, also emailed pictures. He was very apologetic and told me that all will be fixed. When I asked how this could have happened, he really had no answer. Why would an AC even be put on a camper without completely framing it out first to support the weight of the unit? I'm just at a loss trying to figure out why a "reputable" dealership would even allow this type of work to be done. Oh, and I paid $1600 for this scrap wood and shotty install. They say all will be fixed, I wonder if I should be owed anything in return. I just wonder about those people that wouldn't even know what to look for and wouldn't have caught this... They say that they will "repair" this install this week when I return the RV to them. We will see......

Shoot, all you have to do is Google this place and you will see how many complaints they have about there service department.

I see this is a complaint from 2012 but its good that someone commented on it recently and brought this story back to life.

I did Google this place after reading this and found many other complaints about this place and its service department and personnel.

I for one will steer clear of this place. Thanks.

doesn't need to be framed out. obviously you know nothing about it. this is man's job, not something you would understand

@Anonymous

Well, they bought us an brand new travel trailor when all was said and done. So yea, it did need to be framed out.

It's all good though. Land a "man" would have completed the job correctly in the first place. You sound like a certain employee of this company.

Thanks to them we now have a new trailer and will never step foot in that place again.

@Anonymous

I've been to this place too. The service manager is the major problem with this store.

He comes off as a very condescending and has a major chip on his shoulder if you even think of questioning anything about his repair work. It's really a shame because the rest of the store, camping merchandise, new rv lot, is really impressive. He makes for a very bad experience. I would also never return to this place.

With all the RV repair shops around the Houston area, I would go some place else for my work.

@Anonymous

"doesn't need to be framed out. obviously you know nothing about it.

this is man's job, not something you would understand"

Thanks for commenting on this and bringing this post back to life!!!! Whew!

I almost went to this place to look for a travel trailer but after reading this at the top of a Google search and then finding all the other post concerning this place, I'll be sure to look someplace else. Thanks again!!!!!

You must be a troll.

@Anonymous

Glad you bright this back to life for everyone to see. Thanks.

@Anonymous

We have been to this place too. The service department used to have a service manager there that had that "short mans complex" pretty bad.

Felt sorry for the "little guy". He would try to "man up" and look like he ran the place but it was obvious he was a bit of a Nepolieon. Silly little guy.

He should just go back to the Carolinas where they talk nascar and stick to fixing lawn mowers instead of trying to hand with the big boys and work on RV's.

#481988

**** Final Update *****

We took delivery of our replacement TT from Camping World last Friday. It is a 2013 Dutchmen Denali 287re. We ordered it. It's a very nice unit, 50 amps, 2 AC's, 3 slides, modern windows, power awning jacks and slides all on remote leather swivel recliners and remote fireplace (I paid for the recliner and fireplace upgrades myself). All seems to work well when we took delivery. We plan on bringing it home sometime next week and "camp" in the driveway to check her out even better (she's in storage now).

I have to first say "Thank You" to everyone on here that spoke up on my behalf and also gave me insight on how to handle this. At first I was not aware of how much damage the "install job" created until others posted on here. The suggestions to talk to the TT manufacturer (Keystone) about the ramifications of the install were priceless. I am very grateful to you all for your ideas on how to handle this. I took them all and used them with a good outcome thanks to you.

I would also like to thank Mr. Lemonis. He saw this thread and contacted me personally. He also contacted the store and worked out this deal to replace my property. Thank you Mr. Lemonis. That was truly a very honorable this to do.

This will be the final update I give on this topic. I think its played itself out. Am I grateful? Sure I am. Do I think that I would have had the same outlook if I simply went back into the store with my broken TT and "talked to the manager"? Absolutely not. But, enough has been said on the subject. I'm just looking forward to the summer now and pulling my trailer from campsite to campsite when I have the days off and popping open a cold one. Thanks again everybody. It's been a real eye opening experience and I am forever grateful to you all. My first cold one is to you.... Best Wishes.

Camping world has offered to replace our new travel trailer that had the additional AC installed incorrectly with a brand new travel trailer. We accepted their off and thank them for making this right in the end.

Well, took the trailer back to Camping World in Katy TX today. Met with the Service Manager, General Manager and tech that will be working on the unit.

While waiting for everyone to get together, I asked the service manager if they had a flashlight since we will be looking into the AC unit from inside. You would have thought I asked for a lung. I knew this wasn't going to be a fun meeting. I also asked what happened, why was my trailer returned to me with the job only half completed. He told me that was an internal matter. I asked him again and he said, "I gave you your answer". Nice. So much for honesty. Hey, anyone can make a mistake right? Why not just say why?

After our flashlight arrived, me, the gen manager and the service manager all went inside. The service manager took off the AC filter and with the service tech looks up into the unit. He tells the service tech, "ok, I guess they want all this closed up". Really? "closed up". How about "framed out"! I then had to come up to them, reach into the AC unit and pull out one of those 2 by 4 scraps of wood (you can see them in one of the pictures I uploaded in my original post on this thread) and hand it to them. It wasn't even attach, just wedged up there to hold up the AC unit up.

Then I discussed with the service tech how he was going to fix this and frame it out. He was the most informative of them all, explaining the fix, what materials would be used. Very nice guy. They could take a lesson from him. I told him I was concerned about the integrity of the roof since the AC was never framed out. I asked that when I pick up the unit that I be able to go up on the roof near the AC and try it out before leaving. The Service manager said, "let's do that now, before the fix". With myself, the general manager and the tech inside, the service manager goes up on the roof and starts jumping up and down HARD all around the AC unit. You could see the unit on the inside along with the ceiling bouncing! I thought it was going to fall through! I had to yell out for him to "Stop It"! Amazing.... It's like he thinks this is all a joke or something.

They say it will all be fixed in a week. I wish I never went there in the first place. All I want is what I paid for. I don't know who the service manager thinks he is but I know I don't have to be treated this way.

View more comments (10)
Loss

DON'T USE OAKWOOD CAMPING WORLD!!!

I found a camper I liked and went with the deal. We were supposed to pick up the camper the next week. Seems it was a scam the whole week. The Kept blaming everything on the bank. They said the bank wanted another 1000 down on top of the 3000 we put down, this is for a 10500 camper. Even with this the payment was going to go up..it made no sense. When I questioned them on it it suddenly went back to the original deal....so I thought. Seem they charge an additional rate on top of the banks rate. In short just find somewhere else to go they are gonna *** every chance they get. they use every trick in the book.

I just found this, what a joke rver and fulltimer are. You guys must work for camping world.

Reality check time:

How do you know these people have "bad credit" unless you have access to their folder?

Camping World's motto is simple, make as much off every deal as possible and the 2 of you know that. Do you really think camping world cares about their customers? This is a simple, repeatable business model.

Quote a rate and a down payment after the customer is approved. Then the customer tells their friends and family "hey, we're getting a camper!!!"

They then come to close the deal and the structure has changed. Fees that weren't there in the original quote have been added, causing the down payment to go up because banks only loan wholesale book, or sometimes 110 or 120% of book. That's why the down payment went up, banks don't change their approvals, it's against the law you couple of idiots..

When CW of Oakwood got the approval, they knew exactly what the bank approved. CW lied, period.

The rate went up because CW wanted to make more money on financing. Normally, they get 1% of the loan amount for every .25% they go up on the rate. if the bank offered 7% and CW charges 10%, then the F&I dept gets 4% of the loan amount.

At 10K, that's an extra $1200 on the deal and both you know that too. That's why the payment went up. And yes, I work in the rec business so I know it's a fact.

These people were treated exactly the way CW is set up to do business.

Quit defending this deplorable business model. Dealerships that operate with good ethics don't do this kind of ***. These people were trying to buy a product, they were approved and the terms were quoted. At that point, the lying that CW almost always does began.

BTW, I think the 2 of your responses violated the Pissed Consumer Terms & Conditions.

You implied someone has bad credit without admitting knowledge of the deal. Do the 2 of you know something that wasn't in the compliant?

@experienced

Just for the record we had near perfect credit. We also went to another dealer in Middle Ga., got a better deal, better camper and no problems.

The guy that sold us the camper explained what camping world did as he used to work there. Yes they add their fees to the loan, not the bank. So for the employees of camping world posting as to my credit...try again, no problems there.

The problem is we were smart enough not to get screwed over by you. I should have known it was a bad deal the salesman smelled of a all night drinking binge.

@camping world ***ks

Yes camping world is a bunch of liars scam artist stay away

if you have bad credit and they still got you financed with a secondary lender with a highe rate and the payment stayed the same. They lowered the amount financed to give you the payment assuming good credit. no other way to do it.

Isn't like buying a car*, everyone needs cars, rvs are luxury items.

If you have bad credit then banks ask for more down and raise the rate, sounds like a secondary lender... Buying a camper isn't poor buying a car although why it all went back to the initial figure baffles me.

View more comments (5)

Camping World liars

Update by user Feb 15, 2012

Well i picked up my motor home on 02-04-2012 after 3 months in there shop and i still have issues with the slide and the wiper seals have all fallen off and or torn the bracket that protects the trailer light connector was bent they said they replaced it well they didnt replace it they just removed it the tech that was there did remove one from another coach and install it on mine now the front wind shield was pushed out of the top seals and leaked water i had to sealacone it to stop water from comeing in it looks like when they did some repair work to the day night shade they may have pushed on the window hard enough to cause this i dont know for sure , i called the factory and took it to another dealer crestview rv The factory is sending a tech down to over see the final repairs. I have had a good response from Thor.

You would think after 3 months the coach would be repaired correctly. I have no regrets about purchasing the the coach just where i bought it from, All rv\'s have issues from the factory when you buy them new and it\'s up to the repair people to correct them,

Original review posted by user Jan 15, 2012

I bought a 2012 37Kt challanger from camping world in New Braunfels Tx in September 2011 2 weeks later i returned it for repair of the exterior seals they had it for 2 weeks and never touched it the service manager lied and said they were waiting on parts from the factory so i called the factory and they said no parts were ordered from them the service manager got a call from Thor which placed him in a lie. I took the motor home to Florida for 2 weeks when i returned a made a punch list of 19 items and took it back for repair the first week of November and told the service manager that i wanted every item on the list repaired or replaced before i would pick the unit up. I called weekly to check progress and went over the list of items to make sure every thing was being taken care of the canvas topper for the slide out was ripped and needed to be replaced i asked the service manager about it weekly he kept saying he would check on it and he thought it had been replaced . in late December he called and said the unit was ready I asked if every item had been taken care of he said yes except for the canvas topper it had not even been ordered yet and he did not know why , and the factory was closed for the Holiday's so i asked to speak to the general manager he checked in to it and said the canvas topper was ordered now and they would keep me informed now this the fallowing day after the service manager told me the factory was closed for the Holiday's so i said to the general manager that was not true because the factory is closed until the 2nd so you haven't ordered the part another lie, He admitted he hadn't ordered it , It has been 1 lie after another i have told these people just shoot me straight if your busy its okay how ever busy is not the problem the problem is with management and camping world should fire every one of them starting from the top down and start over with people that know how to operate a business until then i would never buy from this store again , this is not my first new RV I've owned others before and had issues with other dealers butt nothing like this with the management only with quality of repairs , These people at Camping world have just flat out LIED

I was not wanting to read this since my RV is at camping world with a number of things to be repaired.

@Curt

As are we. :( Not good little soldier.

Not good. booo

View more comments (1)

Camping World has had our brand new camper for 14 months

Camping world is the worst company to ever buy a camper from. DON'T DO IT! We bought a camper in April of 2010. Brand new. We camped in it 4 times that summer. We noticed at the end of the summer that the kitchen table had warped. So we were going to camp one more time (Thanksgiving weekend) and then bring the camper into camping world after that to have the table replaced and have and awning attached to the slide out, since it was under warranty. Well, that was a huge mistake. They replaced the table and it didn't even match the counter tops in the camper. We complained and they told us that it would be difficult to find a match or whatever. I told them that I want it too match. So at the end of December we told them we would be picking up the camper because we were moving to Omaha, NE. They were going to ship the correct table to Council Bluffs IA. We picked up the camper and the next day drove it to Iowa and dropped the camper off. It wasn't until about April that we went to get the camper again and there was an incorrect table. So again they had to replace it. Finally in June we said we would like to have our camper finished so we can go camping with our 24,000$ camper. They finally had the table correct. We drove it 30 miles to our house in Omaha and noticed that the slide out had driven holes where the slide out was. They fixed it again, then we picked it up again and it did the same thing. So we took it back and they said it was a manufacturers defect and they would have to fix the slide out and then fix the siding again. Well we have since moved to Canton GA. and it is at the Woodstock GA Camping World and they fixed the siding and said the whole roof needed replacing from how the awning was attached. WHAT!!!!! It is Jan. 2012. I still have no camper and they act like they have done me a favor.

Wow. Bet those table tops really stopped the camper from working

Loss

Camping World in Springfield, Ohio - Being charged twice

I ordered a grill and never recieved the grill. I called to ask where my grill was, they said the grill was damamged and they were sending it back. They neglected to call me and tell me this. I then told them to keep the grill just give me my money back. The agreed to give me my money back in two to three business days. 3 business days came and went, yet the order was processed so they had to re-refund me my money. 2 Weeks later my bank account is charged another time for this same grill. After calling customer service they tell me they are sending me the grill again. I told I never ordered this grill and did not want the grill. They told me the grill is on it's way and I have to go through the motions to canel the order once the grill arrives. They will not give me my money back until they get the grill back. Once they have it they can take all the time they want give me my money back on my order. I strongly suggest you order from another company. I have never had problems with a company like the ones I am having now.

Camping World in Waldorf, Maryland - Did not post negative consumer feedback

I bought 2 6 lug VersaLock Trailer Hub covers from Camping World online based, in part, on two positive reviews. Both covers fell off within 1,000 miles. I submitted negative feedback on that product. Customer feedback is not automatically posted. They review the feedback and decide whether or not to post it. They did not post my negative feedback. So, the next customer only sees the same two positive reviews that contributed to my buying the product. How can we trust the Camping World website feedback if they filter out the bad ones. They should show all, or none; not just the good ones.
Review

Camping World in Washington, District Of Columbia - Charged for something they did not do.

Camping world charged me $119 to have my refrigerator work in the auto mode when not plugged in. When I got home it was not working. Their solution was to return my motor home. They had it four days and it took me an hour just to get paper work done. I am not inclined to spend another $50 in gas and lose another week. I just want a refund. I have spoken to other customers who have simular experience. Let me clarafy that this was at the Camping World in Katy. I contacted Camping World and just got lip service for my trouble.

Hey you ***, your fridge will not work on auto if it is not plugged in

Review

Camping World in Bellevue, Washington - Camping wourld charged $1200.00 to fix my dash air and never worked!

I took my 2001 Beaver in to have the air conditioner repaired would not blow cold air.I Have United States Warranty insurance.I picked it up after about a week. It was cool that day so I wasn't able to check it out until the next outing.Did not blow cold air. I made an appointment,took it back in to have them fix it correctly.It cost $1200.00 the first time They replaced the regulator valve and some other things??? They informed me that it would cost $1400.00 this time Because the fitting at the compressor was leaking. Which means they had to replace the flex hose that ran from the rear of the vehicle to the front of vehicle, hose $500.00 and that the labor would an additional $900.00 for labor. I told them that I would not pay for the extra. I told them I wanted my money back that I would not have paid that much to have the air conditioner fixed. Total 2600.00 dollars. So I paid 2600.00 and never got it fixed. I came home checked it out installed a high pressure clamp on the fitting and it is fixed. Works fine if you know more than the mechanic that couldn't fix it!!!
Review

Camping World in Indianapolis, Indiana - Overcharged for unsatisfactory repairs on my RV

We brought our Fleetwood Pace Arrow into Camping World in Greenwood, IN to have the air conditioner fixed because it was not blowing cold air. After over $500.00 in charges the air conditioner still did not blow cold air. Camping World said they checked out the air conditioning system and made sure the unit was powering up and working but it was not their responsibility to see if it blew cold air. They claimed that we did not specify that the AC did not blow cold air, just that it wasn't working properly. DUH. They tuned up the generator, which was working fine before we took it in, and now it takes forever to start it and it shorts out the house batteries. I suggest you do not have your RV serviced at Camping World if you want it repaired properly.