Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Camping World - Wrongful termination

To whom it may concern: I am writing this letter to appeal a wrongful termination of my employment with Camping World on February 27, 2013. I was terminated because my manager says I was a no call no show for work on Monday February 25, 2013. I had a legal court summons to appear for court in another state that I had to attend to and notify my manager Damian Schafer of this prior to me leaving. To provide you with more detail I have been working for Camping World in Dover, Florida since December of 2012. I have never worked in the RV industry but I AMA very fast learning and caught on to this very quick. I built a strong relationship with customers and the employees at this location. At the end of December I had a family emergency that kept me out of work due to the nature of events that were taking place. My wife communicated with the General Manager Tim Joslin and also the Service Manger Damian Schafer to keep this updated of my situation. They both agreed that when I came back they would find a place for me with the company. When I was able to return I was given a job back with Camping World working in the parts department until another opportunity opened up that I was more qualified for. Now with this being said I am sure you can agree that I must have been a great employee to be offered a job back after being with the company for a short period of time. Prior to me leaving for my February 25th court date I spoke with Damian Schaefer and let him know the days that I would not be there so he did not get concerned if he did not see me there. I have always made Damian aware anytime I was leaving or coming to work. Prior to me leaving for this court date on February 25th,I had a court date on February 6, 2013 that I had told Damian about and at that time I also informed him that I had would be leaving on the 25th. I have known about the courts dates prior to me being reemployed. The day of me leaving I called a total of 5 times and left a voice message for my direct manager Carl which is the parts manager. I also called and asked for several different people to try and speak with. I was trying to call to make sure one that they remember I would be out of town and two that I would be back a day later than I had planned. I wanted to call to make sure this would be okay. I made several attempts and left messages. On February 26th I received a voicemail from Damian asking me to call him as soon as humanly possible. I made several attempts to call him and he finally answered and said he would call me back in the morning. The following morning I went into work at 7:30 am to talk to Damian and at this he told me that my employment was being terminated for no call/ no show. He told me that he was not aware that I was leaving. I asked him if he had forgotten that I told him that I was leaving and he said " I thought you had court of Saturday and that there was people in the office when you told me and I was not really paying attention because I had a lot going on." He also said that he had made tried to call me about fifteen times and left several messages. I explained to him that I only received the one phone call and message from him and no one else. He mentioned that the General Manager and the Service Director had asked about me to speak with me about a new opportunity in the company on Monday. He stated that because he did not hear from me that he had terminated my employment on Monday morning which was the day I was summons to appear in court. I have no history of ever being late for work or not showing up for work. I have never been written up for any reason while employed at Camping World. He told me that it was the General Managers decision. When I was leaving I saw the correct General Manager Glen and asked him if I could speak with him. I told him that I had just spoken with Damian and he told me I was terminated. He was not aware of what was going on and said he would speak with me. He went and talked to Damian to find out what was going on which demonstrated to me that he was not aware or had taken part of any decision to terminate me prior to our conversation. I am not sure of the conversation that he had with Damian because it was in private for about 10-15 minutes. When he was able to speak with me he brought Damian in the office and repeated what Damian had said. Glen would not listen to the facts that I had and I tried to show him my phone which has the records of my phone calls and text messages. I also had called my cell phone provider and they have no record of calls coming from Camping World on the days Damian states he attempted to contact me. All of these things are facts which can not be made up and would have demonstrated I had given accountability for my absence. I have tried to contact human resources and have not received a call back. I have left several messages with Tess Beckmann (303-728-7440) she said she would help me but she has yet to return my call. I believe that someone should over turn this wrongful termination of my employment and reinstate my back to my job. I am 33 years old married Christian and trying the best I can to support my wife and two kids. My wife is also 3 months pregnant. The termination of my employment has effected my family greatly. We were scheduled to move into our new apartment on February 28th but because of my termination they are no able to consider our lease due to the lack of income. My wife is a waitress at a restaurant so her income is not a lot. We do not have family in Florida so we have been sleeping in the car and staying at homeless shelters until I am able to find us a place to live with the little income that we have now. I have pawned all my valuable positions just to be able to provide food for my family. I believe giving reinstated me to my job you gain a valuable asset to your company. I have over 10 years of Management experience and I am a Army Veteran. I really hope that someone will try to get in contact with me regarding this situation. I am forwarding this letter to the following people in hopes that I get a response, Marcus Lemonis, Rick Matar, Mark Gilman, Libby Simon, Thomas F. Wolfe, Steve Adams, Sue Bray. I am also posting this letter on every website available that pertains to Camping World to let the world see how good employees are treated. I am also sending this letter to NAACP, the Veterans Association, Florida EEOC,and every local news station in hopes that someone will hear my concerns. Please contact me at 813-846-2378 or email ahawkins1979@gmail.com Best Regards Aaron I Hawkins

why would you even consider going back to work for such uncaring,back stabbing company? I know when I was let go in their sell out of detail,I wanted to work some where else in the company but I wasn't given the option (go to work with these new people or you don't have a job). but I thought about it and the great benefits aren't worth the way they treat employees and customers.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

View more comments (1)

Camping World in Fayetteville, North Carolina - Toy hauler

Bought a 2007 enduramax wide open toy hauler for a military move that I thought I got a good deal on back in oct 2012. Just took it in for some maintenance at a fabrication shop in tacoma wa. Camping world couldn't fix it so they referred me. The shop looked at the camper and informed me that the "rock chips" on the side of the rv were in face water damage which is extending throughout the entire structure. Also found oh that all 4 tires were pretty much dry rotted out which would have to be replaced as well. Never will we deal with them again. Service horrible, sales persons a joke. In all the worst experience I ever had.

Apologies to Camping World-Toy Hauler, as I hit the BS button thinking it would take me to other tales. I am truly sorry.

I brought our 95 Pace Arrow Vision to them because I didn't winterize the RV the best and ended up cracking a couple of water fittings, and breaking another. I pointed out the ones I knew were broken and asked to have the system inspected for more broken lines, fittings, etc.

We also had a new fridge installed while it was there, and the engine battery, along with replacing the annoyingly loud and underpowered water pump so I could take a shower with water pressure for a change.

I told them we were planning on leaving to go camping the day it was ready, so it was important the unit was in working order.

The call came the unit was ready (Saturday, a day later than promised), so I went to pick it up and found the railing for the step wasn't attached (the only way the fridge could fit), so I screwed it back in- no biggie.

I go and pay for everything, and ask the nice lady at the service desk if the unit was absolutely ready to go with no leaks and a fridge that worked and was new and new water pump, as we were planning to boogie as soon as it was loaded.

She assured me "that the service department checks the units for leaks and wouldn't let a unit go that wasn't ready". They had done good work in the past, but these service guys-they just weren't on the ball in appearance and as I found in service either.

The first thing I did was check the fridge to see if it worked, and was surprised it wasn't running. So, I turn on the gas, and fire it up, and it works, but I swore I could smell propane.

Next, I charged up the "Inspected water system", and was amazed when my unit left a small lake in the parking lot with the same damned annoying water pump that Fleetwood placed right near the bed.

Annoyed, I go back in and said my R.V. was not only not inspected, but it had the same pump! So, she calls in the service manager(?), who swears he inspected everything, or "had one of his boys fix check it". I asked him to come on out and swim to my coach to check out his inspection job, and he agreed there was a problem. I then reminded him there was a problem with my water pump, as it was still sounding like a 12 volt jackhammer. To that he says "There was nothing on the work order about a water pump", so we argue on the way in about the lack of a water pump on the work order, and find when the nice lady brings up the work order "customer wishes water pump replaced with pump X".

He asks if I can come back next week as it was late on Saturday, and I said no, you missed the water pump, and my water system is still screwed up, and I said we were leaving that day for a long planned camping trip, so giddy-up.

Since everything else was going so great with the repair, I decided to check the battery connections, as my backup camera now no longer works, to which I get accused of "putting my foot in the door" on a repair, and how did he know the thing wasn't broken when I brought it in (maybe a pre-service inspection?)? I explained I needed it to shoehorn my RV in the only parking spot I could find, and the camera worked just fine, and since I admitted to screwing up my water system, don't you think I would have just told you my camera was screwed up if it was? He acted all put out, and started checking the battery connection, when he noticed the birds' nest of wires going into my positive and negative posts. I saw him wiggle the positive post, which was loose, and he said "Well here's the problem here. This post is stripped out!"

I told him it was funny that it tightened up just fine 3 days ago and wasn't stripped out at all, so quit nickel and diming me as I just spent $1700 for the fridge (which ended up being on sale for half-off the next week!!) and put one with longer threads and try not to strip this one out too, or I'm asking for a different battery.

So, after wait an hour and a half for the water pump repair, he comes back and says (get this)" The water pump is in too difficult of a position, so we're going to wait till it wears out to fix it"(!!)

I'm about ready to jump up and down, and this guy is telling me he wants to go home, his guy is having too tough of a time getting at it, but we have the leak fixed". I pressure the system, and while there's water still dripping, I can't tell if it's from before or a slow leak now, and really want to get going myself. I tell the guy when a customer orders something installed, you install it. It wasn't like some warranty item or something I was trying to weasel out on them from.

So, we go home, load up, and while filling the water tank, the R.V. makes another lake in my driveway. I grabbed the bottled water system out of my house and we tried to make the best of it.

And that gas smell? Just a loose fitting from not inspecting the job. I doubt the thing was ever even tested. I was so disgusted, I've never gone back. I doubt they'd have done anything anyways.

I wrote a letter to the president of Camping World, but never heard a thing.

Now, they have A nice new Forest River Sunseeker 2861 in Idaho, and the salesman Tom is nice enough but I'm afraid to buy it, as any service would have to be done in Tacoma.......

Pete L.

Black Diamond, WA

Camping World in Robertsdale, Alabama - New Fifth Wheel

Our "new trailer" is back a second time for repairs. Service department is basically a Joke. If you call to get an update, DO NOT EXPECT UPDATE in same day. Won't happen. One of my complaints was the excess caulking on the unit, also how it developed cracks in two TOWS. I have never seen such disregard, or complacency! They might see this everyday, not me. Per owners manual, this is Taboo.We also loss money cause "Finance" would not call our bank and stop the interest accumulation! Even on day of us taking possession of our fifth wheel, finance had not called them. We will never purchase from Camping World again!
  • The Unit

Camping World incapable of ordering correct parts

Stay away from the service department of this Camping World. I needed a new piece of sheet metal for my truck camper. I called them to give them dimensions and see if they could order one. They told me to bring it in so they could make sure to get the correct color pattern and dimensions. Weeks later when I received the metal and brought it home it was the wrong color white instead of cream and it was missing the S-lock seam along one edge necessary to intersect it with the other piece. After weeks of phone calls back and forth with Service Tech and Service Manager they said they would get me the correct piece and sent me a form for me to fill out to get the correct specs. After a few more weeks go by they called to say they had my metal but would not say how much more it would cost. Tech said ask the manager and the manager said to ask the tech . Finally they asked for an additional $70. By now the camping season is long over I m $500 into this and 3 70 mile trips to CW and the last thing I want to do is give more money to these people who are obviously incompetent and have bad business practice. When I called the metal manufacturer in Oregon they said they could make the metal in one or two days and I could pick it up for $200 retail. Would have been easy money for CW to order the correct piece and have a happy customer but instead they chose this. If your looking for overpriced lawn chairs its the place to go. If you need any service I would avoid this place.

Camping World in Miami, Florida - Horrible repair

Terrible repair service - they just about killed me and my wife with shoddy repairs and on top of that their prices are much higher than local RV repair places that are much better in service as well. I tried them in 2011 on a used Class A motorhome and they destroyed my electric system, did not perform the roof coating or generator servise they charged for, destroyed my tile floor by dropping electric wire nuts which got caught under slide rollers. They also installed 6 new tires at cost of almost $4,000 and did not balance them and infletd them all to very differnt amounts, resulting in damages to crossbars and body of the motorhome and almost killing us by having motorhome sway uncontrollable when crossbar bushings failed!
$20000
  • Electric charge

Camping World in Burlington, Washington - Ripoff attempt

Very dissatisfied. Brought my Honda generator in (by appointment) for a simple tuneup. Charged me $132 and did NOTHING. Kept me waiting over 2 hours and tried to tell me there were metal filings in gas tank. Classic rip off attempt. I'm a fairly good mechanic, been Rving over 20 years and can tell when I'm being ripped off. I will never go to their store again for repairs. I've had good luck with local small RV repair companies. The service manager seemed to have a practiced scheme to accomplish his rip off technique. Hope this helps someone avoid problems
Loss

Camping World Terrible Customer Service!

We purchased a brand new 2010-34ft travel trailer from CW. Less than a yr later my husband was in a bad car wreck resulting in back surgery with many complications. Needless to say we never really got to use it. We continued to struggle pay on time for the past 3yrs. We tried to sell it on Craig's list with no luck. We contacted CW in Sept 2012 to see if we could trade down to a smaller RV. They said we could but they we're only willing to give us half of what we paid. We said NO we will try to sell it for more on our own so we would not take such a hard hit. Then they suggested that we could try to sell it with them on consignment. We agreed and they even picked it up for us! We turned over the the trailer and keys, we also mentioned that we found a little moisture near the back slide and were worried it had a leak, because when they first delivered the unit to our property the driver racked it under a tree limb in that area and we think he might have caused the leak. We were told it would be looked at, repaired and put on the lot forsale. Many weeks went by without a word! Calls not returned, then we were told they did not want to take it off the lot for repairs until it sold. They wanted it to be shown to potential buyers. A few months went by and we never heard a word. After 5 months my husband called inquiring about the progress of the sale and or repairs. We were told they couldn't find the keys! That we never gave them to the!!! My husband said we most certainly did!! My husband told him you better find the keys, the they said we might have to pay to re-key it. He was told the leak in the roof was not covered under our warranty and it would cost us 6 grand to fix the roof! They kept our RV for 5 months and never even opened it up! We contacted or bank (M&T Bank) explained everything to them. They were willing to help us and since we were never late on our payments they approved us for a short sale. We were able to get a better payoff amount but Campers World was not as helpful, they said before they would buy it back we would have to trade for something else. We bought used popup and they didn't give us a break on it either. We are out of the huge RV nightmare and will NEVER return to CW to buy anything ever again! We forgot a few blankets in the old RV, when we went to get them they just finished drilling the key holes out to get in it. Lol Oh on a final note my husband asked 3x if the propane was full of gas to the popup we had to buy. He was told yes, we get home set it up turn on the heat no gas! If you are looking to buy a camper, RV, or camping gear don't walk away from Camping World....RUN!!!
$12000

Camping World in Itasca, Illinois - Sales

I went in buy a fifth wheel and while i was looking around i decided to go talk to sales about my questions i had and i went up to someone there and i told the salesman i had a question about the fifth wheel camper and the only response i got was oh you cant afford it and he walked off so me and my family left we wanted that camper it was open so we looked at it but he didnt know my finances so he dint know if i could afford it or not i feel like i was descriminated against he didnt even run my application he only said u cant afford it and walked off

Camping world suck!

Watch out all they want is your money....once you sign there is no such thing as customer service. They will charge you up to 3 times as much for the work they do. As far as delivery of a new/ used unit they could care less if it's clean. I heard management say on a delivery of a used unit....they are bikers and it was a cash deal so the mice *** that was in the cabinets didn't need to be cleaned. If you are an employee and go above and beyond it will not be noticed but if a family member happens to work there you and that member will be protected, you won't lose your job even if you do a half *** job. Management only cares that they can keep their 6 figure paychecks.
jzeeb2003

We bought a new coach 12-2011. We have had it there for some new vehicle warranty work for six months out of the thirteen we owned it.

AVondale AZ store can't keep employees, they don't know what they are doing, and are unprofessional. I agree that once you buy from them, you are on your own.

• family member

Camping World sold me a $50,000.00 totaled 5th wheel

Purchased 2007 5th wheel from Camping World of Lake City, Fl July 2012 .Walk-thru one of the 5 slides was not opened. Tech said he would momentarily. He then diverted us inside the camper. He then opened last remaining slide however we were inside. Before we went outside he closed the slide. Not suspect of any issues we signed the paper work. Next morning opened the slide not opened during walk-thru. Broken beams, cracked exterior. Called bank to stop payment (WOULD NOT). Returned camper 11:00 a.m. following a.m. Was told no problem they would repair. Now 4 1/2 months. No camper. Now am told I wrecked the camper. Told me to file insurance claim. My insurance claims all damages are prior to purchase and will not pay. Loan amt. $50,000.00 camper valued currently $1,800.00.

I also used to work for camping world in Lowell, AR they are a very crooked and lousy company. they will do anything and everything to steal a dollar.

I now work for another local RV dealer in my city and we get camping world customers each day that tell us stories just like this and say they will never be back. If I were you I would back that 5th wheel right through their front door one night!

I used to work for camping world San Martin ca. If I was you don't ever go here all they do is rip people off trust me I got trained to do so

View more comments (1)